15 replies to this topic

#1 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy; Pets; Garden

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi everyone, 

It's yonks since I posted here so I must have been doing something right :o) But I need help now if anyone knows the answer.

I have to go back about 3 weeks to when I couldn't get GoogleEarth to launch. After days and days of working on it with help from a very cluey gent, I finally managed to get that to work. 

However, during that time I found that I had somehow downloaded the Conduit Search and it was taking over my 'puter. After using CCleaner, ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes I thought I had managed to rid myself of its annoying behaviour. But I am left with a RUNDLL error which reads:

RUNDLL
Error loading C:\DOCUME~1\JOANPO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\CT3306061\plugins\TBVerifier.dll
The specified module could not be found

I was directed to the following method to stop the Error notice but it hasn't worked - perhaps because I had deleted the CT3306061 file during my cleanout.

regedit > OK
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >
Software >
Microsoft >
Windows >
Current Version >
Run and click RUNDLL and hit the Delete on Keyboard.

I do recall the AVG Toolbar being part of Conduit and the last item of the 15 that appear when I do the above is:

Value 15
Name: vProt
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "C:\Program Files\AVG SafeGuard toolbar\vprot.exe"

Is there anyone who could help with this, please?

#2 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

The one software I know able to repair many such issues is hitmanpro. Its not the answer for everything but able to assist well. You try it or I can help you. Whatever you prefer. Let me know please. :)

#3 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:03 AM

Thanks Daniela, I'll give hitmanpro a go first but come back to you if I can't work it out if that's OK.

#4 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Please let us know if you were able to clean it all up or not. Thanks. :)

#5 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi Daniela,

Thanks for the memory jogger but I truly hadn't forgotten you. In fact, I have just re-booted after running the Hitmanpro and deleting all the Babylon bits, 1 reference to Conduit and tracker cookies. The only thing I ignored was a file referred to as suspicious. Sorry but I can't recall the exact name but it had "Office.exe" as part of it.

Anyway, it hasn't solved the problem of that notice on booting. I just tried to show you the message as it appears to me but it won't let me do that. I just did a screen shot and pasted it to WordPad. 

So if you have any other suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them. However, I'm on a very slow connection to the internet and get lots of knock-offs so it's a struggle to even get websites. I will get to you as soon as I can though.

Regards,

#6 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Joan, I don't see a screenshot? Either way. Would it be possible for us two to get together and let me do an RA? After we figure out the time difference between us, I am sure we can get it done. :) I believe you are about 14 hours ahead of me. So, the question is if you are someone to stay up late or get up early? If you are up early and sleeping now, we could do it 'today', that be your tomorrow. Aka in about 8 hours plus? I can help you in my afternoon/evening then. (my timezone is USA Central).

Let me know what you want to do, please.

#7 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi Daniela,

Thanks for the offer of the personal touch. Yes we can do that if we can fit it into our joint schedules. I've gone to this site to check on the time http://www.thetimeno...l_standard_time and it appears that I am 16 hours ahead of you. Right at this time of typing it is mid day here on Tuesday and you, according to the site, are at 8 pm Monday. There's no real urgency in this as all I have to do is click the little message away and I don't see it again until I boot. 

So, let's see if we can make an appointment. Tomorrow morning I have to go to the Doctor for an annual driving licence check. Thursday or Friday morning I can manage at, say, 10.30 am. For you that would be Wednesday or Thursday at 6.30 pm. 

Another option would be 2 pm for me and 10 pm for you. Or, 8 am for me and 4 pm for you. On either of those same days above.  If you want to leave it for other days during next week just let me know but not on my Monday or Tuesday.

What do I need to do in preparation? Do I need special software? 

I do need to also tell you that where I live in Australia we have just one internet tower to service the small town of Gin Gin. To start of with, it's only G3 and painfully slow but it's even worse during the school holidays (now until towards the end of January) because all the kids are logging onto their mobiles, ipads etc. and it gets overloaded. At that time it runs so slow that I can't get web pages or it cuts me off completely. A grim tale in this day and age but it's our only option as we're away from a metropolitan area.

So, taking all that into consideration, give it some thought and let me know.  Your help is very much appreciated even if we can't go further. You can email me direct by checking my Profile Interests

#8 Birdie

Birdie

Cuckoo Bird

• Admin
  • 30,179 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, and Gardening, reading.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Your time calculations are right. If you go this link http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx and go to the second one down on the list in the additional downloads and get the one that says for the instant customer, That is all you need. She will guide you thru the rest of it

#9 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Since your Internet Connection will probably not support an RA , :(, we will have to keep on trying to find a solution otherwise. If you could post a screenshot of that message, it would be great. If you have trouble posting it, please send it to me via email. Let me know if you have issues with either option. Thanks.

#10 Birdie

Birdie

Cuckoo Bird

• Admin
  • 30,179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

To post a screenshot you must upload to a host site like Photobucket.  www.photobucket.com  should get you there. Set up an account and then upload the screenshot. Copy the IMG code and paste that into the post here.

#11 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

Birdie, thanks for that I did get myself an a/c at Photobucket but then didn't quite know what to do after that. Now I know to use the image code.

Daniela, I finally managed to solve the problem. I've spent hours today digging deep into the files to find left over pieces of Conduit and TB. I rid myself of a file called NetMessaging but that didn't stop the window coming up. So then I did a Search and found 2 more Conduit files deep in Chrome's Local Storage and deleted them. Then I did a final run with ADWCleaner and it found the following and I deleted them:

File Deleted : C:\END

File Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\Joan Powell\Local Settings\Application

Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxp_www.wajam.com_0.localstorage

File Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\Joan Powell\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\
Default\Local Storage\hxxp_www.wajam.com_0.localstorage-journal

Value Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run[ConduitFloatingPlugin_lipgolpfajiadodbcbljdpmbmbdmfcil]

Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\YahooPartnerToolbar

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App 

Management\ARPCache\BabylonToolbar

When I re-booted I no longer had the nasty little window. 

I've no idea what "wajam" is but as it seemed to be linked once again to G Chrome I decided I could probably do without it. And I wanted to get rid of Babylon and Yahoo as well so they went.

Hopefully, everything else will work OK now and that I haven't made something else not work. At least I'm getting my gmail and the internet so fingers crossed.

Thanks once again for your time and help.

#12 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

I suggest that you do this in addition off: If you have not yet, then install REVO uninstaller, the free edition ONLY. Run it and then go through every installation in there. Uninstall every toolbar that you dont need, and, believe me, most of them you do not. Users often are made to believe that in order to use software ABC or Utility ABC or even website ABC they have to install THEIR toolbar. Well, it is not so. Personally I suggest to have one installed and that be your choice of either Yahoo or Google, as it is practical to have certain functions at hand. I always install Google because I use their translator or maps or images when needed, and it works for me.

Make sure when you choose to install things from REVO that are NOT connected to anything else , to choose the deepest removal option, the bottom one on the window, and let it delete what it comes up with.

Do NOT choose it when you uninstall programs that are linked to others you still want to keep. For example office versions. Or PSP versions. Microsoft programs etc.

While you are looking for toolbars to uninstall, including game-bars, also uninstall programs that you know you have not installed or otherwise may cause problems. If in doubt, right click on an icon and choose to google for it and it should bring up some information that will help you decide one way or another.

I am telling you this because I have the feeling you may still have stuff installed that may cause issues that you can not see. Happens in most cases.

Once you have finished all of that, please run Ccleaner again, for junk as well as its registry cleaning option, which is very safe to use.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

#13 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi Daniela,

Thanks for that advice. I will definitely take on board. I already have RevoUninstallerPro on my computer and have used it in the past when I haven't been able to rid myself of something with the Add/Remove Programs facility. However, it's been there a few years now and has the statement that it's only free and functional for 30 days so I think I should uninstall it and get the FREE version that you suggest.

As I've never used it for scanning for leftover bits perhaps you could give me a very short lesson. I've just read through the Help file on it but it is quite large and most of it has gone over my head.

Do I highlight a particular program and then Scan it for Junk? Or do I run a Scan right across the whole computer? That would be really good to know.

Cheers for now,

#14 Birdie

Birdie

Cuckoo Bird

• Admin
  • 30,179 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

Like she said, choose the bottom option and then click on next and let it scan again and usually twice and let remove what it finds

Read what she said again

#15 Daniela

Daniela

TroubleShooter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Revo Uninstaller FREE version does not have all the options the PRO has. If you want to be able to search for leftover installation files just like in the PRO you have to pay for the PRO.

I always suggest that when uninstalling MOST software, not all, to use REVO right off, not go to Programs/Install/Uninstall first. REVO does that on its own. When one uninstalls with REVO, it will let the default uninstaller do its job first and then offer to look for leftover files. Most of which it will then be taken out checked accordingly.

#16 OzzieJoan

OzzieJoan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Daniela, I now have a slightly faster computer as well as one which isn't doing funny things any more. It's very hard to trust a program when you know so little about computers in general. I seem to have got the hang of Revo now but would still not know which software to uninstall by using it. I will stick to the Add/Remove setup and use it to get rid of bits and pieces I think. I feel safer that way.

Birdie, thank you also for your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users